Pleasant View Methodist Episcopal Church was formed in 1868 as a congregation for African Americans.
The building standing today was erected in 1914 after the original 1888 church was torn down due to physical deterioration. The church was a vital part of the Quince Orchard area’s African American community in the decades of discrimination following the Civil War. Congregants were frequently involved in civil rights work and social activism.
In 1939, the two branches of the Methodist denomination, which had split over the issue of slavery, reunited. However, African American Methodists were forced into a separate conference. In the late 1960’s, Pleasant View merged with two nearby white churches to form one integrated congregation, Fairhaven United Methodist.
Quince Orchard Colored School
Established on April 14, 1874, the Quince Orchard Colored School was home to one of the first schools in upper Montgomery County for African American students. In 1901, the building was destroyed by a fire believed to be the result of arson.
The school was not replaced until the following year. Overall, this school was one of the most highly attended in the county. For the 1939 school year, 122 students attended here out of the 2,116 black students in the county. The school closed its doors in 1951 when it was consolidated with Rock Terrace Elementary.
The Pleasant View cemetery holds great significance to the African American community and way of life. African American burial sites played an important role in the lives of both enslaved and free black communities in America.
Gary Green, one of the founders and collaborators of the Quince Orchard Colored School, is buried on the property, along with other members of the Green family.
Yucca plants grow near many of the burial sites, following the tradition of planting live plants at the headstones. The yucca plant specifically lives for hundreds of years and symbolizes eternity, mourning, and warding off evil spirits.